Are you one of those people who don’t like to go to the doctor?
In truth, that may describe most people. We would rather wait and see if the pain goes away. But there are times when you should listen to your symptoms and take action.
Here are a dozen reasons to make an appointment with an orthopedic specialist.
1. Persistent or recurrent pain that lasts longer than 2 weeks.
2. Your hip aches during exercise.
3. You experience hip pain after walking.
4. You have pain in your groin.
5. Medication and walking aids do not control or ease your pain.
6. It’s hard to get out of the car or a chair after sitting for 15 minutes.
7. Your hip is stiff in the morning.
8. It’s hard to climb stairs.
9. You feel a grating or grinding sensation in your hip.
10. You avoid activities you enjoy because your hip hurts too much.
11. You have a hard time sleeping because your hip aches at night.
12. It’s hard to put on your socks and shoes.
When hip pain interferes with your normal daily activities, it’s time to call a specialist. If you have three or more symptoms, you may need treatment to relieve your pain and help you get back to the people and hobbies you love.