Your appointment will be similar to meeting with any other orthopaedic specialist.
During your exam, your provider will ask you questions about your condition.
- When did you first notice discomfort or pain?
- Did the pain happen suddenly or did it gradually progress?
- What types of movements do you do most at work and home?
- Did you fall recently?
- Were you injured recently?
- Which movements cause more pain?
- Which movements do you find hard to do?
- Are there positions that relieve your pain?
- Have you tried any treatments in the past?
Your provider may ask you these questions while he or she is doing a physical exam. Your honest answers and your provider’s expertise will help him or her diagnose the cause of your pain and create a treatment plan that works with your value system and your lifestyle.